Back in 2014, The Economist asked: What are brands for? And he also answered : ” Brands are the most valuable assets that many companies own.”
Almost 10 years later, many are still asking the same question.
And today with this post, I want to complement the answer, so that in 10 years no one will have to ask that question anymore, because the positive contribution of brands will be so valuable that no one will have any doubts about what they are for.
To do this, 20 points to review your brand today and see if it is ready for the future ahead. Because the reality is that the future has already arrived.
- Authentic brands are built through consistency between what the company stands for and what it does. An authentic brand cannot be artificially invented, but is built on the basis of a clear and consistent business identity.
- Innovation is an integral part of branding. An innovative brand always seeks to anticipate customer needs, offering creative and disruptive solutions that are useful and relevant to them. It is not just about creating new products or services, but also about finding innovative ways to communicate the brand and reach customers. New ways to connect with customers and stay relevant in a changing marketplace.
- Brands that don’t go for price need to focus on quality and excellence in everything they do. Quality is the key to creating a positive, unmatched and memorable user experience that helps retain customers and attract new ones.
- The vision and mission are essential to create a brand with purpose and values; and vice versa. A brand with a clear vision and a well-defined mission is capable of inspiring customers and generating deep commitment to the brand.
- Ethics is a critical component of branding. Companies must be aware of the impact of their actions on society and the environment, and ensure that their brands reflect a real commitment to corporate social responsibility.
- The customer experience (internal/external) is essential for building a memorable brand. Companies must be aware that the user experience is not limited to a single point of contact, but must be consistent in all the interactions that customers have with the brand. At each and every touch point.
- Simplicity and clarity in brand communication are essential to achieve an emotional connection with customers. A brand that is able to communicate its message in a simple, familiar and direct way will be more effective in capturing the attention and loyalty of customers.
- Design excellence is a critical element of branding. The design must be consistent with the brand’s identity and values, and must be able to effectively reflect the brand’s personality and purpose. Design is not just how it looks but how it makes you feel.
- Brands must be able to tell or inspire authentic stories that reflect their identity and purpose. Stories help emotionally connect with customers, and allow the brand to differentiate itself from the competition. Being able to transmit/create a positive emotion to customers. A brand that is capable of generating a feeling of enthusiasm, trust or satisfaction will be more effective in achieving a lasting emotional connection with customers (internal/external).
- Consistency in brand communication is essential to create a clear and coherent image in the minds and hearts of customers . A consistent brand in its communication and in its identity will be more effective in being recognized and remembered by customers. Consistency throughout the chain which helps build a strong and respected brand.
- Transparency is essential to building a trusted brand . Companies must be honest and transparent in their actions and in their communication with customers, which helps build a lasting relationship of trust.
- Agility refers to the ability to quickly pivot in the face of changes or new challenges, including new competitors, regulatory changes, and/or customer demands. Agility empowers brands to bring new products to market, develop innovative services, and enhance the customer experience.
- Empathy is essential to build a brand that connects with customers. Companies must be able to understand the needs and desires of customers, and design solutions that respond to them effectively.
- Brands must be able to create a community of loyal followers. A brand that is able to build an active and engaged community of followers will be more effective in attracting new customers and retaining existing ones. Do you remember? “Facebook is not buying an app. You are buying a community. The passion of Instagram users.”
- Brand personality is essential to building an emotional connection with customers . Companies need to be able to define brand personality and convey it consistently across all customer touch points.
- Brands must be capable of generating a triple positive impact on society, the economy and the environment. Companies must be able to align their business objectives with the well-being of society and the environment, which helps to build a brand with purpose.
- Authenticity is essential to building a brand that is perceived as real and true by customers. Companies must be able to be authentic in their communication and behavior, which helps build a brand with credibility.
- Collaboration is essential to building a brand that is relevant and meaningful to customers. Companies must be able to collaborate with other brands, organizations and customers to create innovative solutions and to build a brand that has a positive impact on society and the world.
- Branding is the best strategy to attract top-level talent . Employer branding, or employer branding, is used to attract quality talent to your company and help retain your best existing employees. Help your audience understand “why they should work for you” in a way that shows your organization as a great place to work.
- It allows you to be clear with your organization’s strategy and stay focused.To build a successful brand, everyone needs to be on board. From the CEO to the plant worker, everyone must believe in the same vision and purpose. It is this drive that will also propel your business towards success. If you have employees who truly understand and believe in what they do and why they do it, their motivation will trickle down to your customers. That’s why it’s important to have a clear brand strategy and provide everyone who works for your company with structured and detailed brand guidelines that reflect the brand’s purpose, values, strategy and communication codes.
The most important asset and the only one that increases its value over time: the brand.